Enjoy dives even more when you can recognize and identify fish families and their characteristics.
Have you ever been scuba diving and asked yourself, “What was that?” The PADI Project AWARE Fish Identification Specialty course at Bone Island Divers provides you with the fish identification basics so that next time, you know the answer.
What You Learn
During two dives you gain hands-on (okay, eyes-on) experience in looking for and identifying the fascinating fish you see underwater. You’ll learn :
- How to identify characteristics of local fish families and species
- Fish survey techniques and strategies
- How to practice fish identification dive planning, organization and procedures
The Fun Part
You’ll find you enjoy your dives even more when you recognise the creatures that you see. The fun part about this course is you can use the skills you learn on every scuba diving vacation because once you learn the main fish families and characteristics it will help you decipher the species you see all over the world.
For example, a butterfly fish in the Caribbean has a similar shape to a butterfly fish in Southeast Asia, but their colors and markings maybe wildly different. If you know what fish family it belongs to, it becomes much easier to look up the local name or at least be able to intelligently ask the local scuba instructor what you saw. That works better than asking about a “yellow thingy with a funny tail fin.”
How to get started
To enrol on this course, please follow the steps below:
- Fill in the form on the right hand side of this page or call (305) 239-8992
- Our qualified dive instructors will contact you, get to know more about you as well as give you more information about the course.
- We will book you in on a date and time that suited to you and the dive instructor.
- Once you have successfully completed and passed the course, you will receive a certificate to show that you are certified.